Writer's Guild of America Strike

| 13 November 2007

Well, if you didn't think the WGA strike affects you, you're wrong.

Especially if you love The Office or Family Guy.

This Thursday is the last new episode of The Office until after the strike ends. The reason: Most of the writers also star in the show! Oscar (Oscar Nunez), Angela (Angela Kinsley), Kelly (Mindy Kaling), Toby (Paul Lieberstein) and Ryan (BJ Novak) are all striking. Steve Carell and Jenna Fischer won't cross picket lines.

I support the writers' strike. They don't receive any income from the "new media", the Internet. The writers, actors, directors, producers, hair stylists, grips, etc. don't see a dime of that ad money.

For a list of how many episodes are left for each show, check Wikipedia.

6 wise cracks:

Rachel said...
Tue Nov 13, 02:04:00 PM CST

I support the strike too. That said, there's no way I'm gonna watch reality TV or game shows until they get this all resolved, so I signed up for Netflix.

Jessica Magelky said...
Tue Nov 13, 10:04:00 PM CST

I am teaching this in my classes because it is related to anti-intellectualism. Some of my students might even do a research paper on it...and it makes for great discussion fodder. Plus, then we can talk about current events--neato. I am all for the strike; not like I have cable anyway.

Anonymous said...
Wed Nov 14, 12:11:00 PM CST

I hate strikes, and I hate unions. Mostly because of my union. The thing I don't like about strikes is when a strike affects other people, ie: teachers striking, or in this case, studios firing the little guys, because the writers on strike.

Zeke said...
Wed Nov 14, 12:37:00 PM CST

Ah, but there are no "little guys" in Hollywood. Everyone belongs to a union. The hairdresser union, the directors guild, actors guild, etc. In fact the directors and actors guilds are planning to strike next year, too, when their contract is up. Everyone wants money the studios refuse to give.

Zeke said...
Wed Nov 14, 12:38:00 PM CST

That reminds me of "The Wizard of Oz."

We represent the Lullaby League...

We represent the Lollipop Guild, Lollipop Guild, Lollipop Guild,...

dawnmarie said...
Thu Nov 15, 02:43:00 PM CST

I still hate strikes and I hate unions. Especially when people don't have a choice as to whether they join or go fair share, and they're badgered by people until they jsut give in. Our union presidenta ctually says "I'm going to bully the fair share members on our floor until they join"

That's gotta be wrong. But it's for the good of the union, so it's ok. grr.