In which I'm a "decent" person

| 02 April 2009

I gave the sellers three options:

  1. They lease the house for three months @ $1300/month. This pays the mortgage and pays me for the damn inconvenience. I keep my apartment through July 31. They have to be out by July 15.
  2. They get a one month lease for $2088. This pays my apartment's rent through July 31. They have to be out by May 30. I pay mortgage.
  3. No lease and they hit the street April 30.

I think those options are more than fair, all things considered. It sucks that they couldn't get the house they wanted but they should have planned for this contingency.

If I didn't charge the fees similar to those above I'd be royally screwed as I'd be paying more than $2000/month in June and July for both a house and an apartment. That's pre-utilities and other monthly payments. If I were married we would have two incomes and might make this work but seeing as it's just little ol'me it ain't gonna happen.

I will say this: karma is a bitch. They jerked me around on the final price so maybe this is nature's way of letting me come out ahead.

Their agent is out of the office today so I'll know more Friday.

3 wise cracks:

Rachel said...
Thu Apr 02, 04:19:00 PM CDT

Those options seem more than reasonable to me. They should have made sure they had something lined up before they accepted your offer.

dm said...
Thu Apr 02, 05:07:00 PM CDT

I think those are more than reasonable, and I thinkif you were married, you'd have no responsibility to them even if you had two incomes.

Zeke said...
Thu Apr 02, 05:25:00 PM CDT

This year's lesson: always read the purchase agreement and counteroffer before signing. You never know what you're going to get.